Sunday, May 3, 2009

Lesson

SO, I have a secret. There was a time when I collected Beanie Babies. (don't judge) When I say collected, I mean that I have 300. In my closet. I have had an inner battle over the last 5-10 years over how much I hate the space that they take up. I should just get rid of them, but I spent a fortune on them! Anyhow, now they belong to my girls, and today they taught me a lesson. I was letting the kiddos play with them (dump them all out and frolic around), and it was time to clean up before bed. They were not cooperating, as little kids do when it is time to clean up, so I picked up one beanie baby, and said,"If you don't help me clean up, I will throw this puppy dog in the garbage." I felt kind of silly, for the fact there were so many of these bean bags, what is losing one? They in turn, rushed to dog's rescue and cleaned up like it was the only toy they owned.

I just thought to myself, how great is that, they have a bazillion of these toys and they are so compassionate about one in jeopardy! This little scenario today made me think about how grateful I am that Heavenly Father loves and cares for each one of us, and how much he values our importance. My kids are reminding me of this, in our minuscule day to day trials. This lesson almost passed over me without recognizing it, but the more I think about it as I lay down to sleep, the more I don't want to forget it. Aren't I supposed to be the one teaching the lessons? :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a nice lesson, and a sweet story. I tried the same tactic on my eldest when she was small, and she was perfectly willing for me to throw away her toys as long as she didn't have to do any cleaning :-(

Courtney said...

I have to say ditto to Pam's comment. (On both counts!)

Janna said...

This trick works on Josi every time. Though I have never seen the lesson in it. Thanks for sharing your story. And now every time I use this trick I will think of our Heavenly Fathers love for me (and probably your precious beany babies!) Thanks!

MariePhotographie said...

Beautiful lesson. I thought you were going to say they let you throw away the beanie babies. I should've known your girls are too sweet for that!